You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Friday, October 4, 2013

Voices Raised To Praise

I have many memories of church. A lot of them, some of the most fond ones, are centered around music.
Even as a child I LOVED listening to the family of God gather together and lift their voice in beautiful worship to their Lord and King.
Say what you will, there is still nothing as beautiful to me as a congregation of voices singing hymns. I love the "new stuff" but nothing reaches down and ministers to my soul like a hymn.
I love the message. I love the melody. I love the music.
And when they are sung by people who understand the words because of all the different life experiences they collectively bring to the table.
When you hear their chorus as worship based on a lifetime of a love relationship with God and the different seasons that all have weathered, it is powerful.
To this day, I love walking up to a church and hearing the voices wafting on the breeze. Their loud song heard even from outside. And oh what a glorious song. Beautiful.

This is the last day of week long special meetings at our church. A couple of times we have been late getting there and church was already started. As we walked up to the church I could hear them sing.
Last night it was "Sweet Will of God, still fold me closer, till I am wholly lost in Thee."
(one of my favorites by the way)
As I walked closer to the doors I let their song surround me. It made my heart rejoice.
I know the people singing. I know some of their joys. I know some of their struggles.
I know their stories.
I know their seasons of life.
And I know they mean what they sing.

Listening, it took me back to my childhood. Listening to voices sing. Falling asleep in pews while their song drifted in and out of my ears.
I knew those people, too. I knew they meant what they were singing.
What a testimony it can be to a child.
Church, keep singing. Keep proclaiming in song the message of Christ, His love, His care and the Home awaiting us above.
The children are listening. And they are watching us to see if we know and believe what we sing.
The church body is listening. And they are encouraged by our song.
Christ is listening. And He is glad.

No comments: