*WARNING: Much longer post than I expected. I may have rambled. But it's good stuff so read it anyway.*
He isn't the most muscular and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be caught dead in tights or a cape. But he's the only hero I need.
In the ordinary-ness of life he constantly comes to my rescue. Sometimes with a needed hug, sometimes a kind word, sometimes a helping hand, sometimes a smile. And the list goes on. He has so many "powers" that I can't name them all!
He isn't afraid to step in to help and he's not afraid to take over when I can't do it anymore. He's always there to run to. He's always there to take care of me, of our family. He's always there to love me, wipe away my tears, make me laugh and hold my hand. He's always faithful. He makes me feel safe. He's there to save the day. In good times to make them better, in bad times to lean on and in it all, to be right there.
Does this make him extra special in a world full of men? No, I guess not really. Although his superhero breed seems to be dwindling fast.
But to me it makes him extraordinary because he has chosen me. He didn't have to love me. He didn't have to marry me and he didn't have to be the wonderful husband full of all those "super powers". But he chose to. He chose to be my hero and he chooses to continue day after day to do all the things he does to take care of us and love us. Even above and beyond what is "necessary". Even at the expense of his comfort and desires.
I don't think we women give the men in our lives as much credit as we should.
I have been guilty of this. But by the help of God I will be guilty of it no more.
Men carry the world on their shoulders.
They go out and work hard every day. They get tired. They get sick. They feel discouraged. They wanna quit sometimes. But through it all they keep on keeping on. Why? For us. For their family. Because we depend on them to provide for us. Don't you think they ever feel the weight of our dependence on them? I think they do. Would they want it any other way? No, but that doesn't make it easier.
When they get home, they don't always get to relax like they want to. They have a lawn to mow, projects that need done, bills to pay, cars to take care of and on top of that, they deal with family issues, financial issues, life issues and they have to carve in time to be with us and the kids. Are they happy to do that? Yes, but that doesn't make it less tiring.
Being the head of a home is hard work, full of labor, worry and pain. But also great joy.
They have other responsibilities or commitments as well. Some days/months the list seems to go on forever.
But they don't normally complain. Even when they feel worn to the ground.
God must have built them that way.
With all that going on you have to admit, no superhero could do better.
My challenge to women is this- be what God intended you as his wife to be.
Be there for him. Be his helpmate. Everyday. Respect him. Love him.
As women, by the end of the day we feel like we've run out of power. We sometimes feel beaten by the day. Our superwoman-ness has long since worn off by the time our men step through the door. Ladies, when he comes in, lets remember that though we've had a hard day, he probably has to.
It's easy to say, "Oh good you're home, here's the list of things to do, watch the kids and do you want to hear how rotten my day was?" Wow, that's enough to deflate any heroes cape. Welcome your superhero home and let him know you missed him and that you love him. Give him a breather before you start in.
When he starts doing all those wonderful things that give him superhero status in your eyes, let him know he's appreciated and respected for it. Let him know that he is and always will be your biggest hero. Let him know you believe in him and the things he does for you mean the world to you.
Here are some questions to ask yourself everyday that will help you respect your man and appreciate him for being the amazing person he is.
1. What can I do today that will be helpful to my husband?
2. What does my husband most need from me today?
3. What will bless my husband today?
4. What will most show my husband that I love him today?
Here's the thing. My husband will always be my superhero but even heroes need sidekicks. All the best ones have them. We are our husbands sidekick. We were designed to help them. They can't always be the hero without our help.
I give you a warning as well. I can tell you one surefire way to kill that superhero power. Be naggy, be critical, put him down, disrespect him. That's kryptonite. It'll slowly but surely kill him. Just as sure as we can help him, we can kill him. That's the power of a wife. Their heart is in our hands. You lovingly encourage him, he'll get stronger, you tear him down and he'll grow weak. Ladies, respect and love on your men and they will respond by being more than you could dream!
One more thing, be aware of the fact that some times even superheroes need to fold up their capes for awhile. They need down time, they need a break. In those times, don't nag and whine and tell him how you've done all this big long list of stuff and how you're so tired and it's his turn and he doesn't understand what it's like for you.
He may not. Yes, you have a stressful day and you don't get time off. But really, neither does he. As much as you want some you time, so does he. Is that what he needs from you right now?
Enjoy being the sidekick to your hero. Like any good sidekick, find out what your hero needs at that moment and do it. Help him be your hero. Let him know you are grateful when he saves your day or your moment.
Ask yourself those 4 questions- I've been asking them more than once a day as situations come and go.
And thank God for the amazing hero He has given you.
Thanks, Babe, for being my hero. I love you so much.
I know you sometimes carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and I'm amazed that the only time you bend is to bow the knee to the One who is your power source.
You make me proud to be your sidekick.














No comments:
Post a Comment