You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Like A Fitted Sheet

I found a video on one of the blogs I like to read and the whole video is on how to fold a fitted sheet. Now this might seem silly to you but I watched it and actually got some good tips. I am ashamed to admit that folding a fitted sheet is a skill that I have not mastered very well. I try and it always looks passable but it’s not an A+ job.
Now my mom, no one folds a fitted sheet like her. She’s amazing and if there were an award for folding fitted sheets she’d get it. But that particular domestic trick she did not pass on.
I guess I always think, “It’s a sheet, it goes in the linen closet until ready to use and who cares if it’s a little wrinkly.” Apparently my mom cares because when I told her that very thing she just shook her head at me. She deems me a sheet folding failure I’m sure.
I remember one particular time, right before I got married I went to her and begged her to re-teach me how to do this, thinking I would be a domestic failure if I didn’t have the perfectly folded fitted sheets. (Um, I had a lot of stupid thoughts like that, they make me laugh now and I’m totally thankful that my wifely/homemaking grade doesn’t take into consideration fitted sheets and other trivial things.)
Back to the story, she patiently showed me how she does it and then gave it me. Then I tried. It was a mess. I tried a few (dozen) times and finally decided that not everything had to be perfect and as long as I could get it into some resemblance of a folded thing, that was all that mattered. I gave up, handed the thing to mom and said, “do your own sheets, I’ll work on these towels.” They are my specialty. I can fold towels and washcloths like nobody’s business.
How many times do we try and try with the obstacles in our lives. We try to get them folded into nice flat squares that look just right but we can’t seem to get it right, no matter how many times we try. We wrestle with it (especially if it’s King size) and tackle it from every angle but when we’re done we still have something that resembles a blob with loose ends hanging out in places they shouldn’t.
We should hand over the whole mess to Someone who knows just how to shape and fold our circumstances until they are perfectly done, the way they are supposed to be.
I’m glad He is always there to take care of them. He gladly takes them from us once we are done trying on our own. I wonder if He watches us and just shakes His head, wondering why it’s taking us so long to say, “I can’t do it! Will you handle this for me?” I like to think of Him smiling as we hand it over. He really likes doing those things for us. Why do we have such a hard time letting Him?
I can tell you one thing, I wouldn’t have a hard time letting someone fold my fitted sheets if they asked.

2 comments:

Diane said...

They can be a pain. I enjoy a challenge, so I do my best to get them as neat as I can, but I wouldn't call them perfect by any means.
Enjoyed the post!

LeAnn said...

You did another great one! I love how you can take a mundane topic (like sheet folding) and put a spiritual twist to it. By the way, have not mastered the art of fitted sheet folding. They are folded (or wadded) up and stuffed in the closet until the appropriate time, when they are quickly put on the bed, and hidden from view by all the blankets!!!

Blessings my dear! And thanks again for the encouragement!! Love ya!