You all know that I like having a clean, homey place to live.
It makes me feel good and makes me feel I’ve accomplished something.
So I was reading this book, I don’t remember the title, and it was listing all the things that you can do to make you house a home.
It talked about candles and opening the windows to let the fresh air in, fresh flowers and so on, yada yada yada. Honestly they had some really fun and easy ideas. Some were creative and sounded very nice and reasonable.
But the thing that just blew my mind was the part where the author said she vacuumed her house IN HEELS every day and spent time making patterns in the carpet with her vacuum. You know those star-like shaped patterns you get with the vacuum? Well that’s not enough for her. She designs her own patterns.
I think this may border on insanity.
Is this the same lady that says if you shine your kitchen sink every morning while wearing your Sunday best you’ll feel better about your daily accomplishments all day?
Um, no, I don’t think that’s true. Haven’t tried it though. It might work. If any of you want to try it, go ahead and you tell me if it makes you feel good about yourself.
I don’t even have the motivation to shine my sink every day let alone dress up to do it. I have no delusions about being June Cleaver.
My house is for the most part clean, organized and relatively free of clutter. That’s enough for me.
I’m actually pretty sure that if I took the time to make little patterns in my carpet and had a kitchen sink so shiny I could see myself it would have the opposite effect on me.
I would wonder if I had spent that extra time wisely.
I am almost 100% sure that anyone coming to my house doesn’t think, “Oh man, she doesn’t have teddy bear patterns in her carpet and her sink looks rather dull, I just can’t feel welcome here”.
And really, that’s my ultimate goal, not to have the cleanest, shiniest house on the block, but to have a place where one feels welcome to come in, kick off their shoes and feel at home. As long as I have a home where my family and friends feel comfortable, laughter abounds and good memories are made, I will feel good about myself and my home, no matter what little details aren’t “perfect” by some “experts” standards.
(Do you honestly think she really does all that every day?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
Oh, dearie, I just love this! Number one I would never make it while vacumning in heels.(or cleaninig my sink while all dressed up!) If I going to clean my house, it will be in my grubby clothes. When I get my nice clothes on, I have no motivation or desire to get dirty, so that would definitely back fire. I agree with you- I would rather have my home tidy and welcoming then absoutely perfect and unwelcoming! Can I please come visit you?????
Post a Comment