You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Monday, April 5, 2010

Mercy!

Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“ The LORD is my portion,” says my soul,
“ Therefore I hope in Him!”
The LORD is good to those who wait for Him,
To the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly
For the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:22-26
It has been a day.
Lydia was fussy. I had tons to do. I didn't get much done. Vincent was stressed over things which made me stressed. And things just seemed to fall apart.
Not my definition of a good day.
If I had my way I would have gone to bed, dove under the covers and stayed there.
But life don't work that way.
Ever wonder what to do on those days? And no, pouting and screaming isn't the answer.
Where, then, do we find hope on days like this?
Lamentations is a good place to start. Chapter 3 says that every morning we all get a fresh dose of mercy. We can never run out because they are new every morning. Did you catch how wonderful that is? Think about it. New. Every morning. Seriously, on days like today, that's good news.
On days like today when I feel like I've depleted the mercy bank I don't have to worry about tomorrow because every day I get a fresh supply. New and enough for the day and whatever comes.
Today I truly felt all used up. But oh how thankful I am that even when I feel like this God says, No. I have more to pour out on you. Blessing upon blessing, grace upon grace, mercy upon mercy. That's the best news I've heard all day.
That's worth sticking it out and keep on keeping on for.
And in the morning that's what will give me strength when I poke my nose out from under the blanket and plant my feet on the floor to live in joyfulness and hope.
Without Him, I wouldn't want to do this thing called life. Even on the good days. We couldn't do it. We would be consumed. But there are compassions and mercies to carry us through as we face life head on. And in a head to head battle, with God on our side, we will come out victorious every time because there is always enough of what we need every. single. day.

No comments: