You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Key Unlocks The Door

You know that feeling when suddenly you realize that something isn't right and you have done something bad?
Well, I returned home from church tonight (about 9pm), fished out my keys and walked toward the front door... and then it hit me. I left the house key inside my very locked up house. Since my house key isn't usually separated from my key chain I neglected to pick it up and take it with me when I left for church. And I should mention here that the key was laying right by the key chain so I wouldn't forget it. Now you may ask why I didn't just put the key back on the ring but the simple answer to that is for some reason, it never occurred to me.
So when I got home and found what I had done I realized two things. One, Vince wasn't coming home tonight and two, if I didn't want to spend the night in the cold I was going to have to do something. So, I called the apt. emergency number and found they charge $25 dollars to bring a key to you. Well, thought me, it's cheaper than a hotel room so what choice do I have?
So I make the call only to find out that the poor maintenance man is sick. He's a very sweet man and I hated that I had to bother him but he willingly drove over here and gave me the key. And he even waived the charge for me. See? Nice man.
I feel horrible that he had to save the day for me, especially since it was my own fault.
Those of you who know me know that I have a horrible key track record. I think all my friends should have a copy of our house key and a car key. This would be much safer.
Nothing like this happens when Vince is home. It's always conveniently when he's gone and won't be home for awhile. Sometimes I wonder just how I got so air headed.
I could blame it on the stress I've been under lately or I could blame it on being in a hurry or just being tired, but that doesn't explain the countless other times things like this has happened. It's just sad.
It does make one glad for apartment living. I wonder what will happen when one day we own our own home and there won't be a Joe to bail me out. I guess I'll have to have a plan. I guess I should start developing that plan now.
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go put the house key back on the ring.
Good night.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Okay, we are so obviously related, I totally understand not putting your key back on the ring, even though it was sitting right beside it. I do that too, although I haven't locked myself out, yet! We must be missing the important "key" gene!!!(ha-ha!)
Miss you, but glad you have returned to the land of the internet!
Lee

Anonymous said...

Our house can only be locked on the outside with the key.