You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Monday, February 11, 2008

The Cheapskate Gets Creative



Due to the fact that we are living in a winter wonderland and I'm a tremendous whimp when it comes to going out at night if the temp is hovering near the zero mark, the evenings that Vince is gone has given me a great opportunity to get creative.
So, coupled with the fact that I'm too cheap to buy things full price, even if I really want them, I began to concoct an idea.
The idea was born based on the fact that I love playing the game Scattergories. It's a fun game to play with a group or with just Vince and I. We didn't have the game and I wasn't about to spend the money for it. I kept waiting for it to go on sale but it didn't.
So I let the little seed of an idea grow and slowly began the process of making my own version of the game. I used some of the same catagories but also made some of my own. The rules are basically the same with a few tweaks here and there. The overall idea is the just like the original.
It has taken me quite a bit longer to put together than I thought it would but I've enjoyed it and it has been a great winter project. Since I could only work on it here and there it was something I could look forward to working on when I was feeling a bit of cabin fever.
I just finished it tonight. The total cost to put it all together was under half of what it would have cost to buy the real thing plus I had fun doing it.
I named it Quick Response. I tried to find a name that wasn't taken by another game. I did a quick google search and couldn't find a game by that name but that doesn't mean too much. Let me know if you know of a game with that name. Not that I'll change it but I'm just curious. :)
Now, what other games can I do that with?

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

You have way too much time on your hands! Actually, I think it's a great idea. Good name. I wish I was a little less busy to do something like that. Things seem so chaotic with packing and moving. These boxes are taking over my house! Ahhhhh! I'm overwhelmed and need help. Could you come out for the week?(just kidding, but it would be nice!) I will try to call soon. (or in your massive amout of free time you could call me? hint, hint!)
So other games, what versions of Taboo or Apples to Apples could you come up with??

Sondra said...

You mean to tell me you don't have time to make up games while in the process of moving? No way!
I feel for ya, girl. I hate moving. I wish I could come out there for the week. Wouldn't we have fun?! It would sure make the process more enjoyable.
I WISH I could say I have too much free time (well, ok, no I don't). Actually, I've been way busy. Mostly because I'm having problems saying "no". But I'm enjoying being able to help others.
This game has taken me a pretty long time to put together. I've only worked on it when it's too cold or snowy to get out. It helps the "closed in" feeling. From talking to a lot of ladies here, crafts are the thing to do on winter evenings. Most are doing scrapbooks but I just haven't gotten into that. Mostly because I know how much money you can sink into it. I'll stick with projects that are relativly cheap.
I don't know how I would do Taboo and I've never played Apples to Apples. I've heard it's really fun.