We were supposed to go to Oklahoma yesterday.
We didn't go because Vince and Lydia are both sick.
It seems it's always something.
One thing or another seems to keep me away from there.
Oklahoma will always be my home and sometimes it's almost a physical ache that I'm not there.
I get so homesick.
I look around some days and everything says to me "this isn't home."
I like Michigan. I do.
There is a lot to like. Many good things.
But it's not home.
I'm content here. God has blessed us here.
But it's not home.
Really, though, not even Oklahoma is my home.
Not my real home anyway.
I was born there. My family is there. I grew up there.
But even if I were there it would not fulfill the real homesickness of my soul.
There is another Home. A greater Home.
And there the deepest part of me longs to be.
This world holds me for awhile.
But not forever.
This life is nothing more than the journey toward Home. The journey to my Father.
God has given me much to enjoy along the way. He has sprinkled the way with beauty. He has blessed me. He has even given me a Companion to walk with me.
God has given many joys.
But there is always within me a heart longing for that Home.
I get so Homesick.
I look around me and everything says "this isn't Home!"
So much pain.
So much hurt.
So much sin.
So much destruction.
So many tears.
So many heartaches.
The result of a world far away from Home.
The result of sin.
And I know.
This isn't Home.
And the longing grows.
When the trials come, I long for the eternal joy.
When the tears fall, I long for the day when all tears will be wiped away.
When I hurt, I long for the day there will be no more pain.
When I am lonely, I long for the day I will be forever in the presence of my Father.
When I don't like the way the world treats us because we name Him as our King, I long for the day that we will win the final victory.
When the world seems so dark, I long to see His light.
When there seems to be no song, I long to sing forever around His throne.
I don't want to get used to here.
I don't want to get so wrapped up in this world that I lose sight of the next.
I don't want to be entangled by the distractions and temporary pleasures of this life.
Because they are temporary. They are fleeting. Passing away.
There is nothing in this life worth keeping me from my journey toward Home because none of it will last.
Only the things at Home will. So I hold loosely to this life. I enjoy them for the moment but easily lay them down for a better and more glorious treasure.
Laying aside every weight and the things that bind me to this world and I keep going Homeward.
Someone else can have this life but it's not good enough for me!
And someday I'm going Home to the place built just for me!
But until then, still I journey on.
Whether in Oklahoma or Michigan or anywhere else God may lead.
There is work to do.
There are others who need to know how to find Home.
We must tell them!
While here I will live for Him, work for Him and give Him glory. I will be an arrow on the path to point others Home.
So that they may join me on the path and we can reach Home together. With much rejoicing.
Home is ahead and I press on.
I look forward to it. I long for it.
And some day, all who seek Him, will see the outstretched arms of our Father, standing at the gates welcoming us, finally, home.
What a glorious day!
Hebrews 13:14- For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come.














No comments:
Post a Comment