When I was a kid there was a collection of music and stories on cassette tape that I LOVED. They were all packaged up neatly in a cheap plastic red case and just happened to be one of my prized possessions. I received them as a Christmas gift one year and I very nearly wore them out. I listened to them so often that to this day, I remember the stories, the sound of the voices and the songs.
Oh the songs! I loved them so.
They weren't flashy.
They weren't loud.
They weren't contemporary.
They were just songs.
But more than songs.
They were songs about Jesus. Songs about the Bible.
Sung by kids in simple harmony accompanied by soft music and a gentle beat.
They taught me to not just appreciate that kind of music but to love it.
To not just enjoy it, but to let it touch my soul.
And it did. Even as a child.
This collection was such a big deal to me that I began to search for it for Lydia.
I really wanted to share it with her.
To teach her early to enjoy music like this. To expose her to music besides the contemporary music of today. To train her ear and her heart to love music that goes deeper than the loud and steady beat music that "makes you want to move" (I'm not judging it, I listen to that too!)
But I want her to really see the pleasure in soft and simple harmony- just music about Jesus with nothing to distract from the message. It's peaceful. It's real. It's truth. It reaches the heart and calms the soul.
It also makes the home a relaxing place to be as the notes float softly in the air.
With that in mind, I was determined to find it. The search was on.
It didn't take me long to find it actually.
I was thrilled!
But.... to get what I wanted was gonna cost me.
I talked it over with the hubs and he agreed that music like that was rare and important to the training we wanted to give Lydia, so he was going to let me get it. Just the music collection.
That's really all I wanted for the time being so I was okay with that.
It was a lot of money but we both considered it an investment.
So, I clicked online.
There it was- for $100.
I knew I wanted it. I knew it was good. But $100?
Well, I was gonna do it. But I was gonna wait. I just didn't know if it was time.
A few days later I looked again.
I clicked on the music section and........
A little note "You can now get the WHOLE COLLECTION- 10 Cd's- for $30."
I gasped. I giggled. I didn't quite believe it.
So I called them.
The lady on the phone was so surprised she checked the website herself. Then spent 10 minutes hunting down someone who could explain why there was a note on the website that would offer the whole thing for 30 bucks. She came back on the phone and with surprise in her voice, said I could have it for that price but she wasn't sure where that note came from.
I gladly took them up on their ever so nice offer and paid my money.
I couldn't have been happier. I may have even danced around a bit (shhh, don't tell anyone.)
And I'm pretty sure I thanked God about 50 times.
Just for fun, I checked back not long after that, I believe it was the same day....note gone.
That note was just for me!
I considered it a blessing straight from God. Really I do.
I received the CD's in the mail a few days later and they are everything I remember.
They still bless my soul. I may even appreciate them more now than I did then.
The message in the songs- Real. True. Deep. Powerful.
The music- Beautiful. Peaceful. Worshipful. But somehow managing to appeal to a child.
So much better than some of the flimsy stuff that passes for music now. Especially children's music. Seriously, have you heard some it? Gag! How are kids supposed to learn what good music is and how to sing well with some of that ear-offending junk as examples? Sorry. Was that harsh?
Now our home is filled with soothing music, beautiful harmony and sweet voices- blending together in a soft rhythm- creating a calm and worshipful backdrop to the moments in our day- even when the toddler is "lifting her voice" in other ways.
Thankfully, however, she is already learning the songs, has her favorites, and takes time out throughout her play to lift her voice to sing along. I sing along too.
Here's the link to the CD's- CBH ministries.
TOTALLY worth even the $100.
Next, I'd like to get some of their story books and the whole collection of stories on CD.
(Which apparently they don't have all 10 CD's right now.) They would equally be a blessing because they are entertaining, have a good message and I really like the idea of LISTENING to stories sometimes as opposed to WATCHING them all the time.
Does the creative brain good, methinks. Worth the investment, I say.
However, we may wait on that a bit.
Soon though.














No comments:
Post a Comment