You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Ode To Socks

If I were singing “These are a few of my favorite things” one thing that would make my favorite list is socks.
I so love socks. And the funkier and cozier the better.

When it starts getting nippy I pull on the socks and I keep them on until I absolutely must stop wearing them (sometime around June) because my feet are swimming in a pool of fluffy sock induced sweat. It’s not a pleasant smell.
I have my favorite socks too. I actually get excited about pulling my favorite pair out of the drawer for the first time each year. I slip them gently on my feet and my toes curl in glee.
I have recently owned two pair that will forever live in my beloved sock memory.
One pair was from my mother in law. They were bright red and fluffy. I LOVE them.
The other pair was from my pastor’s wife as a gift to me after Lydia was born. They were black with multiple random colors thrown in. I heart them. I so do.
But sadly my feet will not be meeting them this year.
I wore them so much they sport holes in both heals. (pause for a moment of silence)
So I threw them away. I wanted to have a funeral.
This is a rather common occurrence because when I have a pair I love that much I wear the life out of them, and rather quickly. Most of my most beloved ones only make it one season.
There is one pair, however, that has stood the test of time.
I got these socks when I was in 5th grade. I remember getting them.
They are neon green Gitano slouch socks and at the time they were the height of fashion.
You can not wear these babies out! They are still in better shape then some I’ve had for just a few months and I still get excited about wearing them come fall.
If you come to my house you may just find me in my purdy green slouchies. And I’ll show them off proudly.
I seem to have passed down my great love of socks.
Lydia is fascinated with them, too.
Problem is, she’s slightly confused about what socks are for. Currently she is using them for chew toys. No matter the sock, no matter the size, no matter the color, if she can get her hands, I mean mouth, on them, she’s a happy camper. It is not uncommon to see her crawling around with a sock hanging out her mouth or sitting in the middle of the floor stuffing a sock as far in as she can and chewing until the thing is soaking wet. They are her greatest love at the moment and the one sure fire way to bring a smile to her face.
She is her mother’s child.
And I’m so proud.

No comments: