But seeing as how Valentine's Day is an important event I'll make mention of it now. Better late than never.
I'm saying that a lot lately. It's becoming my new mantra. When did life pick up this much speed and when will it put the brakes on?
Oh, yeah, this is a Valentine's Day post and not a whine session for being busy. So...back to the lovey stuff.
Can I be really honest here?
This year I was almost too busy for Valentine's Day. The little gasping sound you hear is the teenage ultra romantic me who never thought you could be too busy for romance! Isn't that the be all and end all of married life? Well, isn't it?
Ahh, for the ideals of that girl to be a reality. But alas, not so much.
I could go into the (legitmate) list of reasons Valentine's Day kinda sorta snuck up and bit me on the back side before I realized it was the next day and I wasn't in the slightest prepared, but I'll spare you.You wanna know the real irony of it all? My absolutly amazing, sometimes traditionally romantically challeged hubby WAS prepared. Oh. my. word. If you wanna see an oozing slimy very humbled female just look my way on Feb. 14. It's not like HE hasn't been busy. It's not like HE didn't have much to occupy his mind and time. But he thought of me above it all. Can I just state right here and now that THAT was the biggest gift and not the actual gift of flowers and chocolates and a very sweet card made by his own hands? It's that he took time out and planned for me. I just so adore that man!
We talked about Valentine's Day in general the night before we exchanged gifts and discussed the nature of Valentine's Day and the fact that it has become a hallmark holiday in the very worst way. But for us, it is a day to celebrate the fact that we have love. That God has given us to each other to love and cherish, to have and to hold, as long as we both shall live. And that is something to celebrate, especially in a world where so many are throwing that love away.
The reality is that at this stage of life, the celebration takes on slightly different appearances than it did when we were dating, first married or before we had Lydia. But that's okay. That's good. As life changes, responsibilty changes, circumstances change and we change, it's good that we take the time out to celebrate and reflect on a love that has changed to. It has grown and matured and strengthed while it has weathered the ins and outs and ups and downs that come with living life together, through every stage and change.
Valentine's Day is a good time to spend not just celebrating our love but to pray together- thanking Him for the love He has placed in our heart, for the determined commitment shared by both of us, for the things He's brought us through together and for the deeper love we have this year than last year and it just keeps growing.
Marriage is so much more than romance and roses. Hear that teenage me?
I'm glad that romance is a big part of it because, lets be real here....we like that part. But it's more- it's about a deep love that goes further than ooey gooey feelings and flowers, chocolates or teddy bears. It's a strong determination to love when it's easy and when it's hard. When you are busy, and when you're not. When it's convienent and when it's not. When it hurts and when it feels good. Married love should be a "no matter what, forever and always" deal. And I'm so glad that God has given us that kind of love.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!
(better late than never)
(better late than never)















No comments:
Post a Comment