You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Past Week In Review

Snow snow snow, snow snow snow.
Got my car stuck in snow.
Snow snow snow, snow snow snow.

Are you noticing a pattern here?

Because of all the (see above paragraph) I didn’t get out this week unless it was absolutely necessary. And when I did, yep, I got the car stuck.
So Vince had to go out in the nasty cold (-??) and spend about 20 minutes digging me out. I’m glad it didn’t take longer or I would have had frosty the snowman for a husband. But bless his heart, he didn’t complain once. Once again, he’s my hero.
Mid-week I met a friend at Panera Bread to have lunch. I just love that place and it is always a great place to people watch.
This visit I made some interesting observations while waiting for Faith to arrive.
There was this older gentlemen in a booth by himself. He had coffee and was reading a classic novel. He was all sprawled out like he planned on staying there for awhile, all the while grinning from ear to ear. I know the book itself wasn’t funny (at least judging from the cover) so I can only guess that he was just enjoying the peace and quiet of a book and coffee. My kind of fellow!
Across the restaurant was a couple of middle age men playing chess on a board that was nothing more than a computer print-out of a board. I guess sometimes you gotta be creative.
Then there was a group of ladies, all ages, that looked like they were having a ladies day out. Can you guess who the loud ones in the place were?
The last interesting group I observed/spied on was a couple who looked like they were so busy flirting they could hardly eat their food. It was nauseatingly cute
I tell you all of this because while I was people watching I had a thought.
In that building there was a lot of life, a snapshot of humanity. Each person, each life, had a story. Some good, some bad.
As I sat watching, I was struck with the thought that each one of these people were going somewhere. They had a choice to make about their eternal destiny. Sadly, chances are that most of them either had made the wrong choice or was unaware of the choice.
I sat wondering about the details of their life and wondering what they were going through. Wondering if they were happy, sad, excited, scared or any number of the other emotions that humans feel. And I thought, most importantly, do they know God?
Every day we place ourselves in the midst of humanity. No matter where we go, we are surrounded by it, not just bodies but people with lives and souls that need a Savior. As Christians, it’s our job not to just sit and people watch, not caring if they know what we know. We should care, we must care.
We need to start interacting with these people in such a way as to proclaim through words and actions the love and saving grace of Christ. Humanity is dying. Sometimes, it’s hard to see that, all we see is everyday life, but really…
“All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers, And its flower falls away…
1 Peter 1:24
You never know what will happen next and what if we were their last opportunity?
How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard?
And how will they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:14

Sobering thought.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Excellent post. It's so weird to read your post sometimes, because you use the same words and wording that I would. Scary! However, I like your parallel with people watching and whether or not they know where they are going. It does make you stop and think!
(I would say you are definitely out of your non-writing rut!)