You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Memories are Made of Moments Like These

Yesterday was one of those days that are so good you will remember them for a long time. It wasn't so much that yesterday hold a monumental event, it was just a really special day.
Vince got home in the morning from doing a quick trip last night. When he got home we went to Taylor and spent the day. We kinda celebrated his birthday (Nov. 16) since he will be gone for the actual day.
We did a lot of different little things that added up to a lot of fun.
We did some shopping and Vince picked out his own birthday gift. Only those of you who know him well will understand this. :) He picked out a new piece of luggage to take on his trips. It's really nice.
I had gotten two coupons off the internet for free coffee so we went to Borders and got two free speciality coffee's from Seattle's Best. That was a nice treat.
Then we went to Heritage Park which is quickly becoming one of our favorite spots. The weather had been nice all day but the sun was starting to go down while we were walking around the park and it was getting a little nippy. We didn't mind because the air felt good and it was a really pretty evening. One of life's simple pleasures is walking around a nice area in the crisp fall air, holding the hand of the one you love and enjoying the moment together. I have some picture's from the evening that I'll post so you can get an idea of what Heritage Park looks like. It's a very neat place.
After we left the park we went to Red Robin. Vince loves that restaurant and it didn't hurt that he got a free meal, including dessert, because it was his birthday. That was another free thing I had found on the Internet. All in all, we really cleaned up yesterday with free stuff.
While we were driving around yesterday and going in and out of stores, I was amazed at how much Christmas is already starting to appear. It shouldn't surprise me that much but every year it catches me off guard. It's not even Thanksgiving and almost every store is playing Christmas music and slowly but surely houses are getting all decked out in their holiday finery.
I love the Christmas season, but is it just me or does it lose some of the fun when it makes it's appearance so early? It's another sign of commercialism and it seems in some ways they are shoving it in your face saying, "It's Christmas, you gotta buy stuff!". It takes so much away from what Christmas is. Christmas should be about simpler things.
I have to admit that I am anxiously awaiting the day after Thanksgiving when I can really get into the Christmas spirit and start doing Christmasy things but I don't want to rush it. I want to enjoy each moment for the sake of that moment and not push what's coming next.
Speaking of the season and the winter that comes along with it, Vince and I broke down and bought boots yesterday. I haven't owned a pair of boots since I was in grade school but both of us are anticipating snow (him more than me) and are beginning to have visions of snowmen and yes, snowball fights. I'm beginning to think living in the North won't be so bad. :)

No comments: