Sunday night at church we had small groups. That's where a small group of people get together and discuss the morning's sermon and have fellowship, of course there is food as well. We do this often and it's great fun.
One thing that we did that night was go around the table and tell some things that we are thankful for. There was such a wide range of things that people had to be thankful for but the one common thread was that above all, we were thankful for all that God had done in our lives and the gift of His salvation.
Thanksgiving so often gets overlooked as an almost "in between" holiday, between Halloween (which gets far too much notice) and Christmas. But it should be a special time for us to reflect on the things Christ has done, who He is and the blessings we enjoy. Of course we should do that year round but I'm sure I'm not the only one who tends to take things for granted. Why is it we need a holiday to remind us to be thankful?
If we were to look back on the year, it would probably amaze us at what God has done, what He has brought us through, what He has provided. Some things we are surely not even aware of, but as a nation, as a people, we have so many reason to rejoice (always) with thanksgiving in our hearts.
Vince left on a four day trip yesterday. He will be gone until Friday. Since he is gone for the big day, we had our Thanksgiving meal Monday. I cooked all day and when I was finished I had enough food for twice as many people. It all turned out good and I'm still enjoying it. We'll be having turkey in one form or another for a long while. If you know me, you know that left-overs only appeal to me for about one day, but as someone said, "A big part of Thanksgiving is the thankfulness that we have enough food, abundantly so, when so many around the world will be going to bed hungry tonight. While we are passing around the multiple side dishes, the big turkey and the various pies, remember that many will be digging in the trash cans for scraps; and while we are loosening our belt at the end of the day, many will be tripping over their clothing because they hang so loosely on their flesh."
On a brighter note:
I will be going over to Kim and Ray's house for Thanksgiving day. That is, if the weather cooperates. It's supposed to snow! It should be a fun day. I enjoy my time with them and am thankful God has provided a family to celebrate the day with since I can't be with my own family and Vince will be gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment