Jesus is a very real part of our home and family.
As much as we know how, our home is ordered around the belief that not only is He real, but He is very present with us.
We try to do things that please Him.
We stay away from things that wouldn't please Him.
We teach about Him.
We sing to Him.
We pray to Him.
We thank Him for everything.
We read about Him.
We talk about Him.
Because He is so central in our home, because we talk about Him so much,
because we try to point everything back to Him and make application of Biblical truths from life situations-
Because He is in our work, in our play, in our day, in our night- Lydia knows Him.
She believes in Him. She loves Him.
She sings about Him. She knows stories about Him. She talks about Him. She talks TO Him.
Seeing and hearing the faith of a little girl, watching it develop, grow and blossom, is priceless.
Sharing in conversation with her about Him, hearing her words as she learns more about Him, it is truly a great joy.
Her faith is so real. Her love for Him is so real.
It is a beautiful thing to behold. It's something to treasure. Something to protect.
It is a responsibility to Vincent and I, that we would hold that fragile (yet strong) faith, nurture it, and help her along as it grows with her as she moves through her life experiences.
I have started recording the conversations she has with me about Jesus and the talks she has with Him.
They are so precious and I don't want to forget them.
They show her tender heart toward Him and the things of God and I want to not only keep them for myself but maybe one day give them to her so she can remember the first little sprouts of faith that started to spring up in her heart from the seeds we are planting.
Here is sampling of some of my favorite conversations.
Some that have made me smile. Some that have made me cry. Some that have made my heart turn to gooey mush in response to the tenderness and faith her words convey.
Precious Girl, your faith teaches me about my faith. Your faith touches not just my heart, but the very heart of Jesus.
Every word you say about Jesus must be a sweet sound in His ears, as well as mine.
L: Mommy, will Jesus never leave me?
Me: No, Jesus will never leave you.
L: Kinda like you will never leave me?
Me: Even more than that! Sometimes you aren't near me, but Jesus is always near you.
When you are older, you can ask Jesus into your heart and He will live in your heart forever and then you can go to Heaven someday.
(Pause)
L: Jesus, can I come into your heart so you will always be with me?
I love you, Jesus. Thank you for always being with me.
(Mommy trying not to cry from the pure sweetness of it!)
This one she says a lot-
I love you, Daddy.
I love you, Mommy.
(Looks up and whispers) But most of all, I love Jesus.
During devotion time Lydia didn't know what to say one day so I told her to tell Him what she was feeling.
She bowed her head and said- "Dear Jesus, I'm sooooo tired. In Jesus name, Amen."
Good enough. In fact, there have been times that's about all I've said, too. :)
She says this about once a day-
She pauses from play and randomly says "Jesus, I love you so much!" and then she goes back to her play. I'd love to know what she is thinking about when she does that.
Mommy, what is my soul? Where is it? Is it like my heart? What does it mean to have my soul saved?
Mommy, what is the difference between God and Jesus? Are they the same?
Mommy, what does it mean to hide God's word in our heart? How do we do that?
L: Look at all those hearts, Mommy! (Valentine's decorations)
Me: Those are really pretty.
L: Jesus lives in my heart, doesn't He? But He lives in Heaven too.
Jesus is everywhere!
Me: Yes He is. He's with us right now.
L: Hi, Jesus!
(pause) Mommy, if Jesus lives in my heart, I'm going to Heaven someday to be with Him there, right?
Me: Yes
L: Are we getting ready to go there now?
Jesus healed Daddy's ouchy. It's a miracle!
Jesus does miracles. Like the 5 loaves and 2 fishes. He did that! I like that story.
Can I play with Jesus today, Mommy? I really want to play with Him. Can I share my toys with Him?
Most times, after doing something really good- being helpful, being really obedient, etc.- she will say, "Do you think God just smiled at that?"
Jesus, please help me to obey, I don't really want to right now so help me.
(a lesson for us?)
How come Jesus never says "I love you" back to me when I say I love you to Him? How come I can't see Him or hear Him but He's real like you and Daddy?
Jesus makes me so happy!
Looking out the window- "God made us such a beautiful world! Look at it, isn't it so pretty?"
L: God made me.
Me: Yes He did! I'm so glad He did.
L: He made my belly button! (busts out laughing) That's so funny!
Vincent: Lydia, why did Jesus die on the cross?
L: Jesus died on a cross because of sin.
Sin is when I don't obey.
He died because He forgave me.
Now I can go to Heaven because He went on a cross.
L: Mommy, today is a happy day.
Me: I'm glad you are having a happy day. Why is it extra happy?
L: Because Jesus is with me and loves me. That's all I need to be happy.
Me: What do you want to do when you grow up?
L: I want to learn about Jesus and be baptized. (We had just had a baptism at church.)
Me: What do you have to do to be baptized?
L: Love Jesus.
Me: What do you want to be when you grow up? What do you want to do for work?
L: Learn about Jesus and go tell others about Him.
And the one that gets me every.time.-
(and she says it a lot, yippie!)
"Mommy, I'm glad God gave me to you!"
"Oh, Dear Girl, Mommy is so glad God gave you to me!"
That has become our nighttime routine but she says it to me at random times during the day.
Love. it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment